Reed Point man denies felony domestic assault

Thursday, December 16, 2021

A Reed Point man has denied repeatedly striking and injuring his girlfriend during a drunken episode last month.

Paul Daniel Nehmer Jr., 37, appeared in 22nd Judicial District Court last Thursday via video from the Yellowstone County Detention Facility and denied one felony count of Partner/Family Member Assault, a third of subsequent offense.

As of Wednesday, Dec. 15, Nehmer remained jailed with bond set at $25,000.

Deputy Stillwater County Attorney Ryan Addis was granted a $30,000 bond, largely because of Nehmer’s criminal history, which Addis said includes three prior domestic abuse convictions and four prior DUI convictions.

Defense attorney Brian Haynes lobbied for a $5,000 bond, saying Nehmer has family in Wyoming and has expressed interest in a sober living house in Billings.

District Judge Matt Wald set bail at $25,000 due to Nehmer’s criminal history. Wald also ordered that Nehmer must wear a SCRAM anklet within 48 hours of being released from jail.


According to court documents, on Nov. 14 at 3 p.m., Stillwater County Sheriff’s Deputy Luke Bruursema was dispatched to an assault-inprogress in Reed Point involving a woman who had been punched in the face five to six times by her boyfriend, Nehmer.

Deputy Bruuresma arrived to find reserve Deputy Rob Harper and Montana Highway Patrol Troopers Wyatt Duncan and Jacob Parker already on scene, with Nehmer in handcuffs and in the back of a patrol car.

The victim had “obvious” injuries and Nehmer was uncooperative with law enforcement, “extremely intoxicated” and had slurred speech, according to court documents. When asked about the bruises on the victim, Nehmer refused to answer any questions. Deputy Bruuresma noted that he knew Nehmer and the victim from a previous disturbance at the house.

While being transported to the jail, Nehmer “yelled and screamed” and threatened to sue the Stillwater County Sheriff’s Office and said “he would take violent” against the reserve deputy who was taking him to jail, according to court documents.

The victim suffered bruising and swelling on her forehead, swelling on one cheek and bruising on one arm.